Saturday, June 19, 2010

Burt's Bees Pomegranate & Soy shampoo & conditioner product review



I had heard a lot of good things about Burt's Bees products when they first started gaining notoriety. They were being hyped everywhere! Celebrities were singing its praises, friends loved the way it smelled, magazines noted that they were environmentally friendly so I thought I would give some of their products a try.

I started with the shampoo and conditioner, which might not have been the right choice for me. I have very thick, curly, unruly hair, which is, more often than not, over-processed and damaged (actually, I chopped most of it off, so it's not as over-processed but it is very dry and sun-damaged). But no matter... I wanted to see what all the fuss was about so I decided to dive in. Here's what I think!

Shampoo Claims:
Transform fine, flat, lifeless hair into thick and voluminous hair with extra body. Pomegranate blended with natural cleansers made from coconut and sunflower oils cleanses gently, removing buildup, while soy amino acids adhere to hair fibers to lift and separate hair, leaving it soft, shiny and full of volume. 

Conditioner Claims:
Pomegranate and moringa seed extracts revitalize hair by replenishing moisture while sugar esters and honey, a natural humectant, condition hair. Soy amino acids moisturize and lift hair, leaving it soft, shiny and full of volume. 

Likes: The smell is divine! Also, it really did the remove buildup from my hair! It was my go-to shampoo when I had even the toughest product in my hair that would not wash out easily; this stuff was able to thoroughly cleanse my hair and scalp and give me a clean slate.

Dislikes: I didn't like that the product hardly lathered. I constantly felt that I had to use more product in order to feel like I was truly getting my hair clean, forcing me to go through the bottle faster; and at $8 a bottle (12 oz.) using this stuff can get expensive fast. I also didn't like that the conditioner wasn't very moisturizing. Even after leaving the product in my hair for several minutes, it still felt dry and I wasn't able to run a wide-toothed comb through my hair after rinsing it out (which is usually never a problem for me, no matter how damaged my hair gets).

Final Verdict
Both products claimed to transform fine hair into thick hair with extra body [sic], and though I didn't need to transform my already thick hair, I could always do with "voluminous hair with extra body" which I didn't really get. I did like how my scalp felt clean and my hair smelled awesome and though I don't think that I'll be purchasing this product again for my use, I would definitely recommend it to those with thin, fine hair to try, especially if they want to use a product that won't weigh their hair down. Needless to say, the hair products I use need to be extra concentrated to moisturize and baby my hair and these products did not do that for me, but, I did find that for the most part, these products stayed true to their claims!

Buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails